4.21.2008

$3 worth.

"I would like to buy $3 worth of God please
I want just $3 worth

Just enough to equal a soothing cup of warm milk
Or a snooze in the sunshine
Not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep

Enough of God to make me feel love and forgiven
But not so much to make me love and forgive others
Not so much that it will make me seek justice for the oppressed
Or to embrace the person with AIDS
Or make room for the refugee
Or to feed the hungry
Just $3 worth please

Enough to snack on for two Sunday morning hours of bliss
I want ecstasy
Not transformation
I want the warmth of the womb
Not the terrible pain of new birth

Give me a pound of the eternal
$3 worth of God please
And could you put that in a brown paper bag…"



- adapted from Tim Hansel, $3.00 Worth of God

No comments: