6.22.2009

My First Father's Day.

Today was an absolutely fabulous day! Today was my very first Father's Day. I woke up with a pride in my heart that I really can't explain. As Meredith and I took Aubrey to our church, our friends greeted us with the warmest of smiles.. and me with the perfect amount of joy and sincerity to say "Happy Father's Day."

At first it was something completely surreal... just really not feeling real at all. But as the day went on, the phone calls came, the family visits happened, the conversations continued, the text messages received, things began to settle in. I am a Father, this is my day. Then the presents were presented.

Photo 115

Photo 114

Photo 113

Little Miss Aubrey -- with the help of her beautiful Mother -- picked up a few books for her Daddy to read to her. One called "Dance Me, Daddy," which tells the story of a father and daughter's relationship through the seasons of life -- always to the steps of dancing. In the 13 days that she has been alive, I've already found such joy in swaying with her in my arms. I look forward to the many, many dances to come... even those 3:30 am sleepless dances probably coming tomorrow night.

Photo 108

The next book was a classic. It is a classic. Where the Wild Things Are is a book all about adventure and dreams. These are two of the things that I hope to teach my daughter a lot about. We fail in life when we do not pursue our biggest dreams, because we cease to live out life as our greatest adventure. I cannot wait to turn the pages of this book with our Aubrey for the many, many story-book reading nights to come.

Unwrapping these simple, yet perfect presents.. along with reading the cards that accompanied them.. made this Father's Day something very special. It really set in for me as I sat and held my Little Lady, I am a father. I am a father who loves his child so much, I cannot explain it. She has not done a single thing for me -- she can't right now -- but my love for her is so great that I would do absolutely anything and everything that I could for her. It makes me so thankful for a perfect love that is even more great.. so much greater.

Today was an absolutely fabulous day!

** I even got an idea of a part to a date to take Aubrey's Mom on for her birthday in October... check it out.

where the wild things are

The Movie Trailer >> Where the Wild Things Are. Get excited.

So, What did you give or get for Father's Day??

No comments: